Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Graduation only by the Grace of God - BHS Baccalaureate Mass

I was really excited to be able to join my parents and one of my sisters to be apart of this big day. Also making it special was the attendance of one of my best friends from the past (see next blog). My younger brother Daniel (the youngest of the family) celebrated his Baccalaureate Mass this morning. For those of you that don't know what a Baccalaureate entails I'll just give you the simplest description possible... For Catholic high school students - it's like their graduation mass, it's the last thing that Seniors do before their final. It's like a rite of passage for a Senior and a time to celebrate their high school culmination with a mass amongst their peers, teachers, and family.

The gym was already packed w/ staff and family members so we opted to take seats in the back of they gym… after getting situated, camera ready, and a few jokes between Craig and I (it's what we're good for), I started to look through the program for the mass. I was very surprised to see that Daniel’s name was in several places (he had not mentioned this to anyone mind you). I admit that I was VERY proud of him and my eyes got a little watery when I saw him in his gown walking through the gym doors with the rest of his class. He had this straight posture and the slight grin on his face as he looked over and waved at us (this is rare).

As Mass started a familiar voice took control of the service – our beloved Father Doug, he is BHS's Chaplin. Father Doug is one of the best public speakers I have ever heard. He has a commanding yet not overbearing presence and his words really hit your heart – every single homily that I have heard from him – I have walked away grateful for the opportunity to hear his words… today was not any different. His homily reflected on a banner that was posted about the stage “Graduation only by the grace of God.” A big part of the homily consisted of a video done by 4 seniors (including Daniel) about what they have learned and will take away from their high school experience. It was comical of course as the video homilies have been in the past yet meaningful at the same time.

At the end of mass comes the closing prayer – which Daniel was given the honor of doing. The picture is a little blurry but mind you – we were in the back row (thanks for the photo Craig)! His prayer was clear and concise and he really shined in that moment...

After Mass we mobbed out to the schools Quad and took pictures galore - I also learned that my brother was not only popluar but was quite the ladies man... huh! who knew?!
To my baby brother - the last of the Rivera legacy to walk the halls of Blanchet... you've come a long way and I can't express how proud of you I am... good luck on your finals and all your future endeavors... don't fuck up!


No comments:

Post a Comment